License Update FAQ
We recently announced some changes in our licensing model.
Now Firewall Builder is available for all Operating Systems
under an open source license. The FAQs below provide more
information about the license changes.
- What is being changed?
- Firewall Builder is now available for all operating
systems, including Windows and Mac, under the GNU
Public License (GPL).
- When does this change take effect?
- The change to a common open source license for
Firewall Builder on all operating systems is
- Will Firewall Builder still be included in Linux distros?
- Yes. There is no change in our licensing or support for Linux.
- Is Firewall Builder going away?
- Firewall Builder is not going away. With the addition
of Windows and Mac, all of the supported Firewall Builder
operating systems will now be available via a common open
source license. Support for open source will continue to
be provided by the user community in conjunction with the
Firewall Builder team.
- Will there be new features added to Firewall Builder?
- Development of new features will be considered on a
case by case basis. Users can always submit code to be
considered for addition to the Firewall Builder project.
- Will bugs still be fixed in Firewall Builder?
- Yes. Bug fixes will be made available as time permits.
The team at Firewall Builder always welcomes bug fix
patches submitted from users.
- Will support for new firewall platforms be added to Firewall Builder?
- At this time, there is no plan to add support for additional
- I purchased Firewall Builder license. How does this change impact me?
- There is no impact to users that purchased Firewall Builder
licenses. You are still eligible and will continue to receive
priority technical support under the terms of and through the
expiration of the Commercial License Agreement.
- I am currently running an older version of Windows or Mac, how
can I upgrade to the latest open source version?
- Users that want to run the latest version of Firewall Builder
on Windows or Mac can download the package
- I was using the Linux version of Firewall Builder. How
can I switch to the Windows or Mac version?
- Firewall Builder data files (.fwb files) are portable between
Linux, Windows and Mac systems. These files can be copied back
and forth among the various machines. To transition from
running Firewall Builder on Linux, install the latest version
of either Firewall Builder for Windows or Mac.